Start Time: Sunday June 8 at 1 PM
Starting Location: Bluestockings, 172 Allen St (between Stanton and Rivington)
# of players: Teams of 5
Duration: 1 hour and 15 minutes
Designers: David Piltz
Ever wonder if business names are similar to the street names they reside? Experience the thrill of using the names of cross streets and rearranging the letters to form business names within the cross streets. Points increase with the number of letters used!
Goal: Be the first team to earn the most points before time ends. Teams earn points by taking the names of cross streets at intersections and rearranging the letters to form a business name located within 1 block of either cross street within the block.
Cross streets Rivington and Ridge. The letters in both street names need to be rearranged to form the name of a business within one block of either cross street in any direction.
Rules for rearranging:
- All letters do not need to be used.
- A minimum of 1/3 of the letters need to be used to earn points. Less than 1/3 letters earns no points.
- No letters can be added or substituted. The name of the business needs to be spelled exactly and all the letters need to come from the cross street names.
- GPS units, internet phones, may be used and do not add or take away points
Rules for earning points:
- 1/3 to l/2 letters used = 10 points
- 1/2+1 to 3/4 letters used = 50 points
- 3/4+1 to all-1 letters = 75 points
- All letters = 125 points
- All business names need to be confirmed by submitting a digital photo of the business name when submitting results for points.
Teams have exactly 1 hour and 15 minutes from the start intersection and teams need to return within 1 hour and 15 minutes. Any team arriving after the time is disqualified.
Ties are determined through a bonus round that lasts 15 minutes and can only be within 10 blocks in any direction from the start point. During the bonus round, names given during the regular round of play cannot be re-used. Each team in the tie round needs to create new names.
Teams need to submit the following to earn points [this would be a worksheet that needs to be filled out]:
- The names of the cross streets that can be confirmed on a street map or by mapquest.com.
- The name of the business and the address that resides between the cross streets
- A digital picture showing the name of the business.
- The orientation [north, south, east, west] of the business from the cross street - remember this needs to be within the block.
- The number of letters used from the cross streets.
Dave is a specialist in designing and using games that teach and engage youth and adults. Currently he leads the corporate office for The Learning Key, Inc. and has been creating and delivering training programs in leadership, organizational and educational change, communication, teamwork, customer service, and personal and professional effectiveness for more than 14 years. He is a specialist in instructional design and in developing interactive learning tools and games. He has authored articles on the topics of creating interactive training and how to make training stick. Dave has designed and delivered over 75 modules on communication, management and supervision, facilitation, delegation and has worked with numerous managers and executives in increasing their supervisory effectiveness through the use of games. In addition Dave holds a certificate in game design from the North American Simulation and Gaming Association (NASAGA) where he currently serves on the board.